8 Celebs Who Were Rich Before They Got Famous
- Taylor Swift
- Taylor Swift Taylor Swift made a name for herself by singing her way up the country and pop music charts, but back home she's known as the daughter of Scott and Andrea Swift.
- Taylor Swift Scott Swift comes from a long line of investment bankers, some of whom went on to be presidents of various banks.
- Taylor Swift He, himself, is a financial adviser for Merrill Lynch. Taylor's fame may be new to the family, but being set financially is not.
- Ariana Grande
- Ariana Grande Ariana Grande's acting skills are anything but who this starlet really is. Even though Grande grew up in a well-off family, she always felt there was more to life than affluence.
- Ariana Grande At the age of 10, she co-founded the South Florida youth singing group, Kids Who Care. The group went on to raise several hundred thousand dollars for those in need.
- Ariana Grande She continues to spread her extra wealth by being part of Broadway in South Africa.
- Anderson Cooper
- Anderson Cooper Cooper was born to Wyatt Cooper, an American screenwriter, and heiress Gloria Vanderbilt. Cooper's maternal grandparents are famous millionaire Reginald Vanderbilt and socialite Gloria Vanderbilt.
- Anderson Cooper The Vanderbilt's fortune stems from Cornelius Vanderbilt, who is famous for establishing the prominent Vanderbilt shipping and railroad fortune.
- Anderson Cooper Cooper does not announce his wealthy upbringing, but tries to make a name for himself with his own brand of influence.
- Lana Del Rey
- Lana Del Rey Del Rey came into the world in 1986 to parents Rob and Pat Grant. The couple was wealthy, thanks to their ties with the former Grey Group.
- Lana Del Rey The pressures of growing up in her family became too much, so she turned to alcohol, which resulted in her family sending her off to boarding school to deal with her dependency.
- Lana Del Rey Her life situations have helped her in her quest to write unique music.
- Rashida Jones
- Rashida Jones Rashida Jones is the daughter to famous media mogul Quincy Jones and actress Peggy Lipton. Having every opportunity in the world available to her, Jones went to Harvard with aspirations toward attending law school.
- Rashida Jones After watching the O. J. Simpson trial, she decided law wasn't for her and turned to the performing arts.
- Rashida Jones Jones stays involved in her community and supports Peace First, which is an organization that teaches children violence isn't the answer.
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus Louis-Dreyfus comes from a long line of billionaires and successful businessmen. Her great-grandfather, Leopold Louis-Dreyfus, founded the Louis Dreyfus Group, which was a French commodities and shipping conglomerate.
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus The business is still going strong over 100 years later. Her father is famous billionaire Gerard Louis-Dreyfus, who chaired Dreyfus Energy Services.
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus Her family is very political, and financially supports political campaigns.
- Adam Levine
- Adam Levine Adam Levine quickly became a household name with his band Maroon 5, but his father had begun working on being a household name long before Adam arrived in the world.
- Adam Levine Fred Levine founded retail chain M. Fredric. The company is still going strong today, with his father, aunt, and stepmother working as the creative forces behind the upscale clothing they sell.
- Armie Hammer
- Armie Hammer Armie Hammer wows his fans in the movies he acts in, but he is not just a celebrity in Hollywood. The actor's paternal great-grandfather, who was a Russian Jewish immigrant, moved to the U.
- Armie Hammer S. and became a well-known oil tycoon. That founded a deep desire for success in the Hammer family, which helped encourage Armie's father to start several successful businesses that the family still owns today.
Recent Comments & Questions
Not everyone in Hollywood is a big spender. Many celebrities realize that their time in the spotlight can be cut short at any minute, and they choose to live a frugal lifestyl…e. While it is true that you can't take it with you when you die, you can pass it on to those who will use it.Even though she is worth more than $100 million dollars, actress Sarah Jessica Parker still dresses her children in hand-me-down clothes. Her children's clothing is not the only way in which she saves money. She does not purchase name brand items every time she shops, and her family is energy conscious in their home as well. Lights are not left on and appliances are unplugged when they are not in use..Actress Zooey Deschanel earns more than 95K per month, but only uses a quarter of that on her expenses. She believes in saving for a rainy day, having an emergency fund in case something unexpected happens, and not using more than you truly need. She lives on a budget that does not include frivolous purchases. Deschanel buys knock-off clothing, generic brand items, and does not own a lot of high-end appliances and electronics.Dave Grohl has never led the hard partying lifestyle that is so common for band members. Grohl has remained married to the same woman for 11 years, has two children and lives a regular suburban type of lifestyle. He will tell you that he is afraid to spend his millions because he has no high school diploma, or formal education, and how would he provide for his family if his music career came to a screeching halt?Actress Sarah Michelle Gellar and husband Freddie Prinze Jr. live a rather frugal lifestyle. They still clip coupons, and Gellar has stated that it bothers her to know that she bought something that someone else spent less for. She is a self-proclaimed bargain hunter, and rarely pays full price for anything. She learned her frugal ways from living with a single parent that had little money.While her wedding in 2007 cost an astonishing $1.5 million dollars, many of the guests received a load of freebies that Longoria managed to score as their take-home gifts. Longoria learned during her childhood how to live frugally and provide for herself. Her father would take her and her siblings hunting with no food and tell them they had to live off the land. Longoria is quite adept at skinning deer, fishing, and cooking outside on an open fire.Even though he boasts one of the most impressive collection of classic cars, comedian and TV host Jay Leno lives a frugal lifestyle. He has not spent one dime of the money he has made while hosting the Tonight Show, and has lived off of the money he has earned as a comedian. Leno could retire now and never work another day in his life and not want for anything. Of course, if times did get tight, he could always sell a classic car or two.Because Hargitay grew up poor, she has always lived a very basic life. Even though she earned $8.5 million dollars per season during her television career, she still purchases bargain items. She has stated that she likes the lifestyle she lives, and believes that living frugally now will allow her to continue living it. She realizes that Hollywood stars come and go quite often.Former Beatles frontman Sir Paul McCartney has been a tightwad for many years. In fact, his daughter Stella tried to publicly shame him into paying for her expensive college education, when Sir Paul felt she could get the same education at a cheaper state school. McCartney also made guests pay for their own drinks when he hosted his ex-wife's birthday bash. This is an example of why the man is still worth more than $800 million dollars.Supermodel Tyra Banks has an overflowing bank account, but family says she still picks the meat clean from a chicken bone so she can use it for tomorrow's breakfast omelet or chicken and rice dinner. Banks is also the one person that has no qualms telling her friends and family that they are overspending and need to cut back on their expenses. She is definitely planning for her future and her retirement.Though Warren Buffett is not someone you would call a celebrity, he is one of the richest men in the world, and lives in a home he bought in 1957. This is the only home that he owns and when he purchased it, the cost was $40,000 dollars. Buffett and his wife do not go out on the town often, and eat dinners at home that she prepares. While they do use a cleaning service, it is only when they are hosting an important event in their home. (MORE)
Macklemore loves shopping at thrift stores so much that he wrote a song about it. A song that became one of his hit singles. Macklemore has said that he has been a thrift stor…e shopper since he was a young kid and that one of the things he loves about it is that it's outside the box.Known for her quirky personality, Zooey Deschanel frequently discusses how much she loves thrift store shopping. The star emphasizes that buying different accessories and apparel items and being creative with how you put an outfit together often showcases more style than spending a lot of money on a few items.Atlanta girl Janelle Monae loves shopping at thrift stores, despite receiving millions due to her unique vocal talents. Among her favorites are stores like Poor Little Rich Girl and stores in Little Five Points, both of which are in Atlanta. She states that the appeal is the opportunity to find a one-of-a-kind piece.Fans know Willow Smith for her thrifty style, which complements her unique and quirky personality. She has appeared with her mom Jada Pinkett Smith throughout Los Angeles touring various thrift shops. For Willow, it helps put together an outfit that expresses your individually.Since she was a young child, Lara Spencer has been shopping at thrift stores and flea markets. It was a way that she bonded with her mom, collecting unique finds in the process. Now that she's reached celebrity status, she shares her finds and tips with the general public.It's a surprise to many that Hollywood's golden girl Julia Roberts loves to go thrift store shopping. She has stated that she loves shopping at thrift stores as well as consignment shops and Goodwill to find clothing items for her kids. She will even pick up finds for her and her husband.As the lead singer of Blondie, many people are surprised to know that Debbie Harry loves thrift stores. During the ups and downs of her career, there have been times where it was the only place she could afford to shop. At other times, she chose to shop at thrift stores to find unique outfits for events and parties.OneRepublic singer and songwriter, Ryan Tedder, has been a fan of thrift shopping since he was a young boy. The 33-year old's favorite shirts are the ones he bought from thrift shops as a teen. Tedder said "I've thrift shopped since I was 13 and half of my wardrobe to this day are still the same shirts I had when I was 17, 18."Celebrities aren't the only ones who enjoy shopping at thrift stores. It's estimated that nearly 20 percent of Americans shop at thrift stores at least once in any given year. The reasons for shopping at stores differ, but many love the opportunity to save money. (MORE)